Wednesday, June 29, 2005

OOOHHH NOOOOO, Spam!

"86 percent of the addresses posted to web pages received spam. It didn't matter where the addresses were posted on the page: if the address had the '@' sign in it, it drew spam. " - Email Address Harvesting: How Spammers Reap What You Sow
"Outdoing most analysts' worst predictions, spam accounted for 82 percent of all U.S. email last month." - May 5, 2004
Wow that's a lot of spam.
So what do I do? Obviously I shouldn't post my email with an @ sign in it.
First off: don't post your email where you don't have to. It is recommended that you post your email on your blog for people to contact you privately though. So here's several solutions.
  • You can write you email like this: GodsMoon [at] gmail [dot] com This takes a lot of space but it works.
  • you can Make an Email Image like this one This is my preferred way of doing it at the moment. The Email Image Maker lets you choose from all the most popular email domains.
  • If your email address is @yourwebsite.com or something like that then you can use this image creator.
  • Another possible way is to use JavaScript. Most of the techniques I've seen on the internet I wouldn't recommend. Most of them seem to leave the @ sign in and thus would not work. This one seems like it would work and it seems reputable.
  • I'm not sure if this one would work or not but its worth mentioning. It simply encodes your email. The site has a page rank of 7 and is listed in dmoz.org so it probably works but I'm not sure its full proof.

Tags:

1 comment:

Bicx said...

Dude, I've had that problem with posting my e-mail on my webdsites, and the spam got so bad that I had to get rid of the e-mail addresses. So, everybody take GodsMoon's advice and find an alternate way to post your e-mail address. :-)