Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Riverbend Festival 2005 Day 4 Report

Day 4 of the Riverbend Festival was the Bessie Smith Strut. Its hot, crowded and free. Oh yeah... and there's usually good blues music too. This year was decent. I think it was just the mood that I was in, or perhaps it was the fact that I had eaten every little, but all good music seemed to be lounge blues. Not really having a good place too lounge while listening to lounge music just makes me what to lounge all the more. This, of course, left me wanting food in a nice sit down restaurant. We first tried going to BW3's but after not getting any service at all, we swung over to TGIF, which I must say was quite delicious.
I did manage to hear some of the groups before I left though. The Black Diamond Heavies were very good. However, they don't have a bass guitarist, and since I play bass guitar, and happen to really like blues bass guitar I found there music missing... bass. The lead singer/guitarist of the Black Diamond Heavies is a large man and can be rather scary at times too. So that was a little creepy. The Rockin' Jake Band was not so much Rockin' as I thought they'd be. Disappointing really :( They sounded like zydeco, but they too were missing something. Tinsley Ellis, on the other hand, was very good, but after listening to him only a little while I ran into the lounge dilemma mentioned above and left to find refreshment. Over all, it was a hot day at Riverbend.
See more pictures

No comments: